Saturday, October 28, 2006

Two cents and the book... Online Bookselling: A Practical Guide with Detailed Explanations and Insightful Tips

Here is my two cents about the book...

Online Bookselling:
A Practical Guide with Detailed
Explanations and Insightful Tips
by Michael E. Mould


After the article in my previous post, I had the opportunity to read the paperback version of

"Online Bookselling: A Practical Guide with Detailed Explanations and Insightful Tips” by Michael E. Mould. I enjoyed reading the book which is a practical, detailed, insightful, and informative resource about selling books online.

Another “Learning Opportunity”

After reading the first chapters, “Why Online Bookselling”, and “What Does It Take to Get Started”, I just could not stop reading the book. I actually read the entire book in two sittings and that was only because I had to get some sleep the first night of reading. The title, “Online Bookselling: A Practical Guide with Detailed Explanations and Insightful Tips” definitely describes the book. No illusions here! Mould’s book is practical, detailed, and insightful. I recommend it to beginner and experienced booksellers as well as anyone interested in selling books online.

Michael E. Mould's delivery of the information, illustrations, and resources is refreshing. His presentation is not written in an “I am the expert” manner but in a “how I did it” manner. It is not heavy-handed, or overwhelming. Mould’s illustrations give a mental picture of what he is explaining in the written content. As I read the book, it felt like the author and I were having a one-on-one conversation with a little “show-and-tell” here and there.

The author, Michael Mould is very generous with the sharing of some powerful bookselling information. It is clear that this bookseller is willing to share his expertise because of his enjoyment of bookselling and the desire to help maintain the integrity of the bookselling business. He stated that if you are going to sell books online… “Do It the Right Way” (may not be the exact wording but it is close). The “Do It the Right Way” philosophy motivates people to buy more books online and this helps all serious online booksellers. The online marketplace is so diverse and large that it is highly profitable for the growing number of booksellers. Well, it was at this point that I got a notepad and started taking notes as I read this “Online Bookselling 101” book.

In the book, you will find detailed information about advertising, book-hunting, bookkeeping, business planning, inventory management, pricing, re-pricing, shipping, and much more. The easy-to-understand book is packed with detailed information, illustrations, and spreadsheets. The author’s advice to “know the value of a book before you buy it” has me reviewing the process of selecting and price checking books. The book provides a better understanding of book ranking, the advantages, and its use. I discovered another wireless lookup service for consideration. It looks like a wireless lookup service subscription is worth the investment.

The chapter, “A Day in the Business” is quite insightful because it provides a better understanding of the many facets associated with online bookselling. The chapter takes you through a typical day of the author as an online bookseller. This close-up look into Mould’s routine and how he handles book-hunting, price checking, order processing, inventory updating, shipping, and re-pricing was indeed very helpful. It is one of my favorite chapters!

A sincere “Thanks” goes to Michael E. Mould
for sharing his information, spreadsheets,
illustrations, and resources in his book.



"Booksellers' Book & Software Package"
Online Bookselling: A Detailed Guide
Bookkeeping for Booksellers

Check the "Package" Out...
It's Worth a Look!

3 Comments:

At Thursday, January 11, 2007 10:46:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cheri

This is now on my 'wish to buy when I can afford it' list!

Thanks for the review and a Happy New Year from here in the UK.

Tina

 
At Tuesday, March 06, 2007 8:07:00 PM, Blogger Cheri's Books said...

Tina
I am glad that the book review was helful.

 
At Thursday, August 09, 2007 3:28:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Cheri,
I couldn't put his book down either! It is so full of good, honest information that after reading it quickly (because I couldn't stop) I am now going to reread it carefully---Lisa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home