Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Pricing Technique:
Research... Marketplace... Comfort Zone

Do the Research
Check The Marketplace
Maintain Your Comfort Zone

I am still here... Had to take a break for some lab work. When I am not at my computer, I am usually at my microscope. Not really a big jump... In the lab, I am hunting for microorganisms or teaching others how... Outside the lab, I am hunting for books or information about selling books. I just enjoy finding information, and sharing it. That is what lead to this blog and today's post, Book Pricing Technique: Research... Marketplace... Comfort Zone. This bookseller's answer to... "How To Price A Book?"

Sometimes, I have no idea what a book's price should be. If it is a "hot" book, I may list it at a price within my comfort zone and let the market set the price. Most often, I will "research"... a keyword in bookselling and in the lab. Simply stated... research is the gathering of data (information).

A valuable research and pricing resource is BookFinder.com . It allows you to search for a book by title, author, ISBN, and other options. The search results include the copies currently being sold online with descriptions, conditions, and asking prices.

My recommendation is to select a price that you are comfortable with based on what is in the marketplace. I have even waited to list a book if the marketplace has a large number of the book listed. "Your buyer will come!" As far as a price, I select my own price in the range of books with the same condition, edition, and format. The price may be lower or it may be higher than the other copies but it is a price that I am comfortable with.

For children's books, I use Elaine Smith's book Most Valuable Children's Picture Books. It has helped me to determine a book's value, and what children's books to look for when I go bookhunting. Sometimes, I use eBay's "Completed" list to see what the book may have sold for in previous auctions.

Recently, I read a review about the book, Children’s Picturebook Price Guide on eBay Bookseller Blog. The thought of "more" information elevated my excitement level to the point that I ordered the book. It would make a great companion to Most Valuable Children's Picture Books. Another "research" tool for my reference library! The Price Guide includes over 20,000 book values, First Edition indentification points, and other helpful information. The authors' website is... http://www.1stedition.net. So, I am anxiously waiting for the book to arrive.

Once I receive the book and start using the information, I will share my comments on my blog, or my "For Booksellers: Links" page (if not both). The For Booksellers: Links page features resources and information pertaining to bookselling online. You will also find additional "price comparison" sites that are helpful for the pricing of books. Some sellers may totally disagree with my pricing techniques, but "that's my story and I'm sticking to it". For now, it is working for me and I am not losing any sleep over the pricing.

Now, book storage is a different story and a different day....

Much success in your bookselling!!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home